So Who are Tchoklat Wheatens?
Welcome to the home page of Tchoklat Wheatens, breeders of Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers of the Irish type in Australia. We acquired our first wheaten in 2001, though when we were alerted to the major health issues behind the pedigree of this dog we desexed her, vowing to look elsewhere for healthy breeding lines. Our current wheatens are wonderful dogs, pure bred, with a known healthy ancestry. We recommend Wheatens to anyone wanting a loyal companion for up to fourteen plus years!
Australia, like the US, has been plagued with health issues in the breed. Wheatens in Australia have been born affected with protein losing diseases. These diseases only appear to affect wheatens of the American type. We have imported breeding stock of the Irish type to remediate the risk of these genetically transmitted diseases that are present in other lines in Australia. The dogs we have imported include:
1. "Aust Ch Aimee Aira Happy Wheaten" from the Czech Republic
3. "NZ Ch Honeyrags Gearoid" from Sweden (via NZ)
4. "Traligill Prionnsa Pisceach" from New Zealand (co-owned with Cormak)
5. "Ch Am CH Rolfelan I'll Tell Me Ma (Imp USA) (co-owned with Cormak)
Note semen for a.i. is available from Ragamuffin, Riley and Bowie (2, 3 and 4 above).We have also acquired some dogs locally from other local breeders who have used imported stock that complements our own lines;
1. "Ch Larnook Voodoo Magic"
2. "Betandy My Love"Our planned breeding program uses only the 'best of the best' from healthy Irish and International Champions from around the world to improve the quality, type, and more importantly health, of this wonderful breed in Australia. We do not outcross to these healthy lines using questionable dogs. Both parents of each mating are clear of hereditable health issues.
Our breeding stock are tested for PLN as recommended by Dr Meryl Littman and to date all tested are reported as Homozygous Negative, or normal.
If you have an interest in owning an Irish Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, or just want some questions answered please contact us. We respond to all inquiries and may be able to provide puppies to interested and suitable people if required. We have the occasional litter as our focus is on health and quality not quantity!